Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My how things happen in the blink of an eye!

    Seems like just yesterday I was writing about my latest medical news and ramblings, when, poof! More news.. I received a phone call yesterday morning with a NEW surgery date. My original date was the 31st Jan/11 and now I am bumped up to Monday!!  Also received another call shortly afterward that my appointment for the pre-admitting testing will be on Thursday of this week. It's all a blur, happening fast now.

Later in the afternoon I also received a phone call from my medical Oncologist, Dr. K. she just wanted to touch base with me and go over all of my test results, bone marrow test, gallium scan, and to reconfirm my conversations with the surgeon Dr. A and my radiation Oncologist, Dr. S.

As, she started to go over my gallium scan reports, I told her I was conflicted about the results. Seems the nodes we are doing the biopsy surgery on DID NOT, show activity on the scan, however there was an ever so small spot of activity on my right upper neck, just at the base of the ear. Now that was news to both of us. She, and Dr. S. have consulted about the scan results,and both feel that although the Gallium did not show activity, it would still be in my best interest to continue as planned with the biopsy on Monday. Further, they discussed this new activity and will do so again, as they are just not quite sure what to make of this entire scan result.

The alternative is to wait three months and redo the Gallium scan. Dr.K and Dr.S have concluded that was not a great idea with my history, but would leave that decision up to me, but with their recommendation to continue as planned.

So much to take in and process in a short amount of time. However, it was a no brainier for me, even though the biopsy surgery itself will be serious enough, I have to agree with their recommendation, not only because it's the best course of action to take, but my history with this, this history between Lymphoma and I goes back to 2006 and has raised it's ugly head every December since, with the exception of 2008 when again, in December, I was having my bone marrow/stem cell transplant.


Therefore, history itself dictates that I must proceed. Should this turn out only to be reactive nodes doing their intended job, then hooray!!! BUT, should it turn out that is not the case and I put it off three months, where exactly will that leave me., Right where I am?, Nodes advanced a little more in size and still growing?, Or, too far advanced for any treatment to make a difference.

So, you see, I have but that one choice that I've made to proceed, with the hopes that it is all for naught! Or, should it turn out the nodes actually are active, then we develop a treatment plan and get under way, while we are in the early stages of it all! Not really to difficult a choice after all. Stressful indeed however.

Now, that pesky little spot of activity in the right upper neck just under the ear..............

Cliff hangers, gotta love them, so stay tuned right here to "As my Stomach Churns", stress edition, AKA, My Cancer Journey!

Love and Hugs to all, to matter where you are in your journey!
Tim, xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment