Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Ok, what is going on here!!


Well let's start with the good side of things. I finally received my new t-shirt from www.thelymphomashop.com . What is says is: (Never Give Up Til there's a cure.) Now, not to wear it out this month! Guess I'll have to switch it up and actually go back to wearing ribbons I made.

Now for the crap that is going on here in Windsor,ON. with regard to cancer care. There have been two different articles in the local news this week about cancer patients having to go stateside for treatment. This is also costing them out of their own pockets as OHIP (Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan) is not reimbursing them because they did not apply for pre approval.

I am posting the links here so that you may read for yourself, I don't think there is anyway for me to put my spin on it without rambling for hours about it.

http://www.windsorstar.com/health/Cancer+patient+says+dead+without+medical+treatment/3491778/story.html

http://www.windsorstar.com/health/Windsor+cancer+patient+feels+betrayed+Ontario+health+care+system/3487650/story.html

I am just appalled that they would actually suggest that you seek out Hospice and wait to die! Then again I must keep an open mind as there are usually two sides to every story. Some of my past experiences though have me really thinking about all of this.

Health wise, I've really been feeling the effects of the CIPN (chemo induced peripheral neuropathy) My radiation oncologist is switching my meds from Gabapentin to Lyrica. The gabapentin has since the beginning only taken the edge off the pain in the hands and feet, so after what feels like forever, we are making a change. I have slowly been weaning off of the gabapentin and have gone from 3 capsules 3 times a day, down to 1 capsule 3 times a day. Friday I will be doing the actual switch to Lyrica. We shall see where this goes from here. Hopefully the Lyrica can give me better relief from the pain associated with the CIPN.

Brenda and I were out to the trailer this past weekend for the annual Labor Day banquet and draw for the campers. Had a good dinner and good time with friends out there. Still own the trailer for now, no sale as of yet, and we didn't win anything at the draw. So that pretty much puts camping season behind us, will be time to winterize again real soon, unless we sell it before then, campground closes end of Oct.

Will see both my GP and Onc. both later this month as they are monitoring this med change. Well, not much more for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment