Tuesday, August 31, 2010

September is Lymphoma Awareness Month


Well, it's that time of year again, I'm making the lime green ribbons to spread awareness about lymphoma's. Also started a challenge on my FB pages to spread the word of awareness.

It is estimated that 7500 new cases of non-Hodgkin lymphoma will be diagnosed in Canada in 2010.
About 74,030 people living in the United States will be diagnosed with lymphoma in 2010 (8,490 cases of Hodgkin lymphoma and 65,540 cases of NHL). The incidence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma has doubled in recent decades; and no one knows why.

So, as you can see by the numbers, bringing awareness to lymphoma's is of the utmost importance. I feel that by sharing my story and doing what I can, is only a small step in a much bigger picture.

Interesting thing happened yesterday when I was at the cancer clinic for an appointment in the supportive care dept. I asked several people there (at the clinic and in the dept.) if they knew what this month was. Not one person could tell me!! I brought them up to speed in a hurry. So you can see why it's important for YOU! to spread the word about lymphoma's.

Make some lime green ribbons to spread awareness for non-Hodgkin's. Or do what you can, whatever it may be, to make someone aware of lymphoma this month.

You'll be amazed at how many people will ask about the ribbon when you wear one. If you don't wish to wear one all month, then be sure to wear one on September 15th which is world lymphoma awareness day!

No comments:

Post a Comment