Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Karmanos Visit

On Monday April 18 I attended the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Center in Detroit Michigan for a second opinion, as well as to inquire about enrolling in their SGN-35 Trial.

Once again the weather was miserable, SNOW!, of course it did I had an out of town appointment! Well, not so bad as it was only a fifteen minute drive door to door. Speaking of doors we had valet parking service at the entrance to Karmanos and it was included in my visit! Nice touch. Did not have to go looking for parking then walk forever to get to the Center.

Also, I was greeted in the lobby shortly after my arrival by Verda from International Services. She showed us around the main floor area and then showed us to the waiting room for Dr. Ramchandren. Shortly after sitting there one of the nurses came out and called my name. False alarm. She only had come out to tell me that Dr. Ramchandren was running about forty five minutes late and we had time to go for lunch if we wished.

So lunch it was! We found there was a small soup and sandwich shop, a Quiznos or Wendy's to choose from. Wendy's was the choice. After lunch we headed back to the waiting area, it was a long wait as well, my appointment was for 1pm and I did not get in to see the doctor until 3pm.

We were brought in to an exam room by the nurse and after a short wait Dr. Atassi entered the room. He is one of the Fellows there. After going over my history with him and answering a few questions he left the room to go over everything with Dr. Ramchandren, and about twenty minutes later the both came back into the room.

Radhakrishnan Ramchandren
Physician
Wayne State University - Karmanos Cancer Institute
Hematology-Oncology
4245 Karmanos Cancer Institute
540 E. Canfield
Detroit, Michigan 48201
rramcha@med.wayne.edu
Dr. Ramchandren was very thorough and went over everything and his opinion of things, he also answered my questions about the SGN-35 trail as well as Bendamustine + Rituxan as well. Due to my CIPN, (Chemo Induced Peripheral Neuropathy) I would not be considered for the trial as the main side effect of SGN-35 is Neuropathy. How did I miss that one! He also said he did not think that Bendamustine + Rituxan was for me and explained the reason why.

The visit lasted about two hours, and I also gave him my pathology slides and CD's of all my latest and early scans. He was going to go over the pathology and the CD's and he would also be speaking with Dr. Kanjeekal, my oncologist here. I am to call him on Friday at which time he will have had a chance to go over the pathology and the CD's and offer a better opinion of my case, which he considers very complex.

So, overall not the news I was hoping for,and a letdown, but not the end of the world either. I guess I will have to wait to speak to him again on Friday and for his written report at which time I will be able to make some decisions and move forward.

This whole process is taking a lot out of me mentally and physically. I really do need to get away from all of this once the dust settles and my plan of action is settled upon. Not sure where, how, when or even if I can afford it. We shall see.

So that is my journey for now, and I'll update again when I know more. So love and hugs to everyone no matter where you are in your journey.
Tim, xxx

1 comment: