Friday, March 25, 2011

One heck of a week. But WARNING not for those with weak stomachs!

This week has been a one heck of a week for sure! Started out the beginning of the week researching treatment options for NLPH and found a few things of interest one in particular that stands out, and was passed on to me from our good friend at Patients Against Lymphoma, PAL. I will be presenting and discussing options with my medical oncologist on Wednesday when I see her.

Tuesday, I went out with Brenda and her friend Micky for dinner and a movie. That is where it gets interesting, we went to a local restaurant next to the movie theater for dinner. Once there and we seen the time, it was getting close to our show time, I asked if there was enough time for a burger, the waitress stated sure she could get it out to me in time to eat and make our movie time. During the show, The Adjustment Bureau. I started feeling ill, and by the time we got home I was getting sick to my stomach, and also had diarrhea.

I was only sick to my stomach a few times through the night and in the morning, but the diarrhea continued. By Wednesday early afternoon, Brenda went out and picked up some Imodium with hopes that would do the trick. No such luck, by Thursday afternoon I was on the phone to my oncologists office to see if they could prescribe something for it. My primary nurse called back to say that the Dr. wanted me to go to emerg or a clinic to be evaluated to make sure I was not getting dehydrated and find out what was wrong.

What was wrong was I went to emerg expecting not to wait too long and get evaluated. WRONG! I sat five hours before I finally walked out. After being there three hours they called me in to the triage room, but just for blood, and then sent me back to the waiting room.The waiting room was full with people hacking, coughing, and young children screaming their lungs out for the whole time. Mind you, I was wearing a mask for my own protection. After the blood work they left the shunt in for easy access if needed later.

Well there was no needing it later, five hours was enough, enough of people hacking and coughing, enough of kids screaming, and enough of watching people come in after me and get in and out while I still waited. So I approached the male nurse who had inserted the shunt and asked him to remove it I was leaving, he went to the desk and pulled a paper out of the paper tray. I knew it was a "leave against medical advice waiver" to sign. I told him he could put it right back I was signing nothing and should he not remove the shunt I'd take it out myself. He took it out, and I left ,not happy.

Well this morning I went to my GP's office for 9am when he opens. Surprise! he's not coming in today called in sick. Now what! I then proceeded to the Walk-in clinic next door and seen the Dr there. He was able to get my blood work result from the night before at the hospital, and all was fine with that. He prescribed some strong antibiotics and diarrhea medication, and a stool sample kit to send a stool ( I use that term loosely, literally! ha), to the lab, probably get results Monday, as I came home and went back to bed. So the kit did not get prepared in time to make it to the lab today before they closed. I'll drop it off tomorrow. In the meantime, I finally have be eating without it going directly through me but still feel in a weakened state.

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment