Saturday, March 19, 2011

Change of Direction in My Journey?

Well, I post today with news on my PET scan results. They are not encouraging, however not the worst. The Nodular Lymphocyte Predominate Hodgkin's is back as we already knew. The PET scan showed cancerous activity in both the left and right sides of my neck, as well as the mediastinal area of my chest, under my right arm, and in the abdomen. The activity indicated is early stage.

Right now we are just trying to wrap our heads around all of this. My radiation oncologist is now referring me back to my medical oncologist to look at chemo options for me. Radiation is no longer an option as the cancer is in multiple areas, and chemo options are limited and currently being looked at as a palliative measure. I do not accept this! and am researching options that have a possible curative effect. I will be seeing my medical oncologist in the next week or so to discuss the findings and look at options.

I have a great support team and look forward to hearing any info at all any of you out there can offer about options for multiple relapsed NLPH.  I have had my lifetime limit of Doxorubicin also known as Adriamycin, so any chemotherapy regimens with that in it are out of the question. I will be doing my own research as well as working with my team at the Windsor Regional Cancer Center. I may disagree with my team at the center at times but I still appreciate their care, and work closely with them.

Brenda and I have a lot on our plates right now and all of this is starting to become just too much to handle. I don't know where to turn next at times but I WILL find a way to get us through all of this.The one thing we do have in our favor is that we have a couple of great friends on Facebook, PAL (Patients Against Lymphoma) and family that we help us along the way.
 
So just to recap where I've been on this journey with hopes to find someone out there that has been where I have been here it is:

 1)  Dec. 2006,  diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the left vocal chord. Treated with 25 rounds of   radiation.  

2)  Feb. 2007, diagnosed with T-cell histiocyte rich diffuse large B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Treated with 8 cycles of CHOP-R chemotherapy.

3) Feb. 2008 Relapsed with the T-cell histiocyte diffuse large B-cell NHL. Treated this time with 9 cycles of GDP chemotherapy.

4) Dec. 2008 Underwent an Autologous stem cell / bone marrow transplant.

5) Jan. 2010 Diagnosed with stage I Nodular Lymphocyte Predominate Hodgkin's lymphoma. treated with 20 rounds of radiation.

6) Feb 2011 Relapsed with the Nodular Lymphocyte Predominate Hodgkin's lymphoma determined to be stage III after the PET scan I just had. Treatment plan to be discussed and decided at my next visit with my medical oncologist.

We are unsure of my direction right now, so if there is anyone at all out there that might have been through this I am listening. As I mentioned above my chemotherapy options are limited. If you can point me in the direction of something proven to obtain a long term remission please email me. Love and hugs to everyone no matter where you are in your journey. Thank you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment