Saturday, October 9, 2010

Battle of the Ribbons, Pink Envy.

I watched in envy this morning as the walkers for the American Cancer Society's "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer" event made their way around Belle Isle Mi. for their 5 mile walk to raise awareness and funds for their cause. It looked liked they had a great turn out from what I seen from the Canadian side of the river. I tried to get a couple good pictures but with my cheap camera I could not zoom in clear enough to get a good one so I just grabbed one from an article about the event.

It is always nice to see a big turn out for events such as this one. The only big one here locally that I have attended is the Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for Life event. They also have the annual Dragon Boats for the Cure race which again is a breast cancer fund raising event. This was a Windsor event but has moved to the Town of Tecumseh now and seems to be even bigger!

Like I said I watch in envy how these events for the cure of breast cancer get bigger and bigger each year. Don't get me wrong, I think this is fantastic how successful these events are at raising awareness and funds, which in most cases stays local where the events are held.

My point, I guess, is I wish there was such and event here in Windsor for Lymphoma Awareness and to raise funds. I have on a couple of occasions now contacted the Lymphoma Foundation of Canada to inquire as to starting a local chapter here in Windsor. I am sure I could do some of the work to get it going but I would definitely need help with it. It seems they have gone through a few personnel changes here in Ontario so I'm guessing my inquiries have gotten lost in the shuffle. So, time once again to knock on their door, so to speak, to try and get things going. I would love to get an annual event for Lymphoma here in Windsor and a Chapter to keep things going year round. I have many, too many, idea's running around in my mind. Time to make an effort to get busy and get things going and see where I get with them. Wish me luck!
Wishing everyone well in their journey's.



No comments:

Post a Comment