Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Perfect Storm

Yes my friends, as the title of the entry suggests, "The Perfect Storm" has occurred. My current predicament has put me in a position to call it just that.

With my employer sponsored LTD benefit expiring, along with them unexpectedly cutting my remaining benefits, health, dental, & eyeglass, then took it that further step further to "end" my employment with them. As that wasn't enough Brenda is finding it very difficult to get back in the workforce after not having to work the past 17 years and her age.

One of the suggestions has been for her to take a course to get "retrained" for a career. She had a deal all set up through "WEST" ( Women's Enterprise Skills Training ), however after filing online and doing all the required steps to get into the course, which by the way was a Government paid course, she was asked to come in to finalize everything and that's where she hit a brick wall.

Upon arriving there, they took one look at her and said, "oh your Canadian and not an immigrant". Seems this course was only for visible minorities and new immigrants to Canada, and she was denied the course!! Just how is that fair that you are born and raised in a country that has a government sponsored training course to help you get back in the work force yet you don't qualify because you are born and raised in that country! Baffles my mind.

We called our local provincial government representative's office to inquire about this and voice our disappointment  in the requirements of this program, and we were told they would look into it and get back to us. That never happened.

Next suggestion was to apply for welfare "Ontario Works" and they may provide assistance to get back into the workforce. To add to this, I was also told by ODB "Ontario Disability Pension" that if I wanted to apply to them in order to "top up" my CPPD Canada pension disability benefit, I would have to apply through Ontario Works as well.

Well, this seems to be another brick wall, but we are probably going to have to take a try at it anyway, however the brick wall I speak of is one of the requirements for Ontario Works.It is to provide all paper work and information you have for any "cash value life insurance", as well as any "pre-paid funeral arrangements". That is were I draw the line so to speak.

Why I ask, must I have to "sell" a prepaid funeral arrangement purchased and paid for over 10 years ago, and use those funds fist according to their guidelines before qualifying for assistance from them. I  do not see the purpose or reason in this, especially with my current health condition. To do that and then have to "repurchase" that package again would,cost double or more what I paid for it 10 years ago, and we would most likely lose our spot which was picked out to be close to family at the cemetery! Just does not make sense to me, or even be a reasonable request.

Am I wrong on this? Is my thinking of this considered greed or being "too good" to have to follow that rule? I'm not sure what the majority think about this, however, everyone I've spoke to about it does not feel I am wrong in thinking that. Don't get me wrong, I do not think I am above or better than anyone, more like the opposite, but it has caused me some second thoughts about applying.

By applying this may also turn into an avenue for Brenda to get sponsored retraining to get back in the workforce and as well I would get my CPPD pension "topped up" which would then at least we could make it month to month and take some of the pressure off.

Today I will call my local representatives again to see why they have yet to return my calls regarding having to go through Ontario Works first to get Ontario Disability, which is just a waste of time and money, as that is ultimately where I would end up anyway. This whole step would save hours and hours as well as dollars paid for those hours on the Government end of it and save me months and months of time to get through the process. I have a confirmed and well documented disability which will qualify me, so lets get to where I should be and save the government some money and me some time in poverty land!

I'm sure that even if I were to not have to go through that step and be able to apply directly to Ontario Disability, I'd still be looking at waiting any where from a couple months to nine months time or more, this is what I was told by a case worker when I called them with a previous file number to inquire about applying again.

Also we will start putting together the "long" list of documents required to apply for Ontario Works and start that process and see where it goes. Our position on "selling" our pre-paid funeral arrangements will NOT change however, so this may or may not work. Time shall tell.

I would also like to take this time to thank all of those that have given to the "Give Forward"  "Help Tim Hammer Lymphoma" fundraiser that my good and generous facebook friend Kimberly Caamano has put on for me, and also for the "hug" notes. I am very humbled and thankful for the donations and the kind words you have all sent.

For those who want to donate you can use the widget from Give Forward at the top right of this page to do so. Just click on the "Give" button. Also you can leave a hug message as well by clicking on the "read more" at the bottom of the widget which will take you to the main page where you can click on "hug" at the top of the page. Thank you again to all of you who are participating.

To use a couple of quotes from online friends, we are "still choosing hope" and will "never surrender".

No comments:

Post a Comment