Sunday, November 21, 2010

6 Month check-up.

Well, once again it was time for my six month check-up with Dr. Kanjeekal, my medical oncologist at the cancer center. Went over the past six months with Karla her nurse and brought her up to speed on all that was going on. Only three issues really that were on my mind and nagging at me for answers. 1. Have been having bowel problems lately and not really sure what is going on, or not going on! there lately. 2. This strange feeling and occasional pain that runs alongside the right side of my nose up to my right eye area, headaches on that side once and a while too. and finally 3. A lump!, yes, a very small one, but a lump none the less on the right side of my neck. I've been writing it off as just some scar tissue from previous biopsy surgeries in that area. However it's "new" since my last visit with Dr. Schneider, so I needed to point it out.

Karla left the examining room with my list of issues, or,as I call them, lumps and bumps reports to go over with the Dr. before she comes in. I must also point out that I was early for my appointment and had fully expected to be waiting a while, but was pleasantly surprised when my "pager" went off indicating it was my turn after only 10-15 minutes. The Windsor Regional Cancer Center using a paging system to notify patients of their turn to see their Dr. This system was implemented last year in order to protect the confidentiality of patients who did not want their names called in public. This system was also being used at the London Health Sciences Center in London, ON. when I was going up there for my pre bone marrow transplant testing.

It was only a matter of minutes before Dr. Kanjeekal came into the examining room. She asked what had been going on and what exactly were the issues I had mentioned to Karla. I filled her in on all the details of what had been going on with the things I mentioned. She went on to do the normal "poking and prodding" of all the key areas us lymphoma patients have had issues with, neck, armpits, abdomen, and in particular the area of the spleen, and groin. Nothing remarkable for her to note. After explaining the thing going on alongside my nose up to my eye, she did not think it was anything important at this stage and just said to keep watching it, the same thing for the "lump" on the right side of the neck. Keep an eye on it and to call in immediately if I think it's getting any bigger at all, she feels it is just scar tissue from the past surgery in that area. She then said it had been some time since my last C/T's of these areas and that it would rule out anything going on related to the bowel problems. My last few scans were only from the neck up, and we were already aware there was black empty space there! She asked to give her a moment and she excused herself form  the room. Returning in just a few moments she had my next appointment card for me and a slip for a C/T of the chest, abdomen and groin. The C/T was just being set up as precautionary and routine.

The Dr. also took a look at my blood work results which were in, I had gone to the lab and had blood work drawn, as I was due for my three month blood work draw anyway and figured it would be in Dr. Kanjeekal's office by the time I got up there, as I had an earlier appointment with my social worker at the center.  My blood work was all fine. So other than a call to wait on for the C/T appointment, I will see Dr. Kanjeekal again in six months.

So folks nothing significant to report at this time, however I will post results of  C/T after it is done. Just to mention, I am still dealing with all the other side effects from all of the chemo and radiation treatments, the CIPN, the Chemo Brain, the weakness, the tiredness. which have all become "normal" parts of my daily life now, and it's been a struggle at times learning to deal with them all and accepting they are part of my daily life now. Not whining or complaining here, just stating what is going on. So until next time, hugs to all no matter where you are in your life's journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment